In short ….
the answer is yes, how you are feeling really does manifest itself in the appearance of your skin. Our emotional state can help determine whether our skin is looking dull or radiant, clear or blemished. Feeling anxious or stressed is often rooted in the day to day stresses of living in such a fast- paced world- the little things add up.
Which is why it’s never been more important to take care of inner wellbeing as well as our physical health, beauty really comes from within.
What are the effects on your skin?
Stress and anxiety go hand in hand can lead to the excess production of cortisol and adrenaline which in turn can have a negative effect on our bodies and our skin.
The secretion of cortisol and adrenaline can cause your skin to overproduce oil, leading to blemishes, blocked pores and breakouts.
Puffiness and dark under eye circles
As well as lack of sleep, puffiness and under eye circles can also be caused by your anxious thoughts. The production of adrenaline and cortisol can lead to increased blood levels in your blood vessels which in turn can cause the appearance of swelling.
With the release of stress hormones such as adrenaline, sweat glands come into play meaning you are more likely to become dehydrated as a result.
Over time the release stress hormones can start the break down of Collagen and Elastin which in turn causes extra wrinkles, and aging.
What steps can we take to improve our lifestyle to benefit our wellbeing and skin?
- Make sure to get enough sleep, 7 to 8 hrs a night is recommended
- Regular exercise, the release of happy hormones can help counter anxious thoughts
- Meditation and yoga is recommended to help relax and take your mind to a different space
- Eating a healthy diet is usually underestimated, but not only can this improve your inner state it will improve your overall skin
- Incorporate a skincare routine and facial massages into your day, this can be therapeutic, a ritual can help structure your day.
- Make sure to wind down at the end of everyday and make a time in the day to do something for you
With a bit of self-care we can try to improve our mood and in turn keep your skin looking the best it can be!
Follow us on Instagram or Facebook, or sign up to our newsletter below to find out how Wǒ's unique approach to skincare can help you and discover how your environment, lifestyle, diet and even ethnicity may impact your skin. Comment below any tips you have to destress and take care of your skin.
Author – Sara Poidevin-Hill