Diet for Youthful Skin: Foods You Should Eat For Younger-Looking Skin
A diet for youthful skin should be full of fresh vegetables and fruitsWe're always encouraged to eat more fresh vegetables and fruits, and there are lots of reasons why. These foods contain many of the nutrients that your body needs to stay healthy, and of course, you can expect that to have a knock-on effect on your skin.
Any diet for youthful skin should include lots of fresh ingredients, but focus on these in particular:
- Carrots, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes are all high in beta-carotene. These will help to defend you against free radicals and solar radiation that may cause us to age prematurely.
- Leafy greens, bell peppers, and broccoli contain lots of vitamin C that encourages our bodies to produce extra collagen. It’s also an antioxidant that minimises the damage caused by free radicals.
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene which will protect you from the harmful effects of the sun's rays on your skin. This health benefit increases when they are cooked with healthy fats like olive oil.
- Avocadoes are rich in polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols. That may sound complex, but it's really simple: they fight inflammation, protect your skin and even help to repair damaged DNA — so these should feature in your diet if you’ve suffered sunburn or other harm to your skin.
- Pomegranates will also help to heal injured skin and increase the production of collagen. This will help to keep your skin healthy and
Eat healthy fats to keep your skin looking younger
As much as we may feel that it's better to stay away from fats, they are good for us in the right quantities. In fact, some fats are even necessary for survival which is why they’re called essential fatty acids! These healthy fats will make your skin look younger, so it's worth including them in your diet:
- Extra virgin olive oil is strongly associated with anti-ageing. It helps to prevent some of the common diseases that cause premature ageing and it protects you from inflammation and sun damage. You'll also see an increase in the elasticity of your skin, as well as its firmness — two factors that really contribute to minimising wrinkles and looking youthful.
- Fatty fish will be high in long-chain omega-3’s, which are a miracle substance for your overall health. Eating food that contains omega-3’s will keep your skin hydrated, increase elasticity, and protect it from sun damage.
Other foods to include in your diet to help to keep your skin youthfulThere are also a few other options you can eat which don't fall into our categories above. Include these extra ingredients into your diet for youthful skin:
- Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and could even help to prevent you from getting sunburn. The flavanols can help to protect your skin and can also help to improve prove blood flow. The end result is thicker, smoother, and more hydrated skin.
- Green tea contains more of those antioxidants, including polyphenols which help to protect collagen from damage. Having more green tea might even reverse some of the signs of ageing!
- Flaxseed is a fantastic alternative to fish for getting alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), one of those omega-3 fatty acids that vegans and vegetarians can't otherwise access.
Sign up to our newsletter for more tips and tricks on how to keep your skin healthy, happy, and glowing!
Leave a comment